Inspired by classic PC games including Cave Story, Speedy Eggbert, and Jazz Jackrabbit, C.A.R.L. is a retro-style adventure that blends classic platformer action with quirky RPG and story elements for a quest as lively as it is robotic! Hop into the shiny metal shoes of the Computer-Automated Resource Locator, a small yet daring automaton lost within the sprawling Kent Industries facility. Brave each perilous factory floor to fetch Tech Units for your engineer friend on the outside, unlocking new areas and abilities along the way.
Chock full of off-beat humor and catchy “Electro-Chiptune” musical tracks, C.A.R.L.’s journey makes for a clever and endlessly satisfying retro romp!
The D.U.M.P. (Depot of Unusable Machines and Parts) serves as your world hub and as the home of the defective robots whose insight and support will help you advance through the adventure. C.A.R.L.'s story is based around this core narrative, but progression is handled through segmented level-based sprints in which you hop onto the dangerous factory floor and collect the Tech Units guarded within.
- Classic 2D Platformer Gameplay - Hop, skip, and jump your way through challenging gauntlets of platforming perfection!
- Challenging Puzzles - Doors! Switches! Levers! Things that go on and off! We've got 'em all.
- Tons of Secrets - Backtrack to completed levels with new abilities to find secret areas, and discover loads of hidden collectibles and easter eggs!
- Charming Narrative and Characters - Meet the residents of the D.U.M.P. and lean on them to help you on your quest! C.A.R.L. will need all the help he can get to uncover the secrets and inner-workings of the facility.
- Original 'Electro-Chiptune' Soundtrack - 8-bit and DOS-era soundchip-inspired tracks will join you for every step of C.A.R.L.'s journey.
"Us" is just me, Andrew Kenady (AKA Nintendrew), and my best friend Matt Bitner (AKA Morningstar Game Studio). We have over 15 years of experience between us building games, with titles including Draw a Stickman: EPIC, Battlepillars, A Robot Named Fight, and more. We've built every aspect of C.A.R.L. with love (including design, programming, art, animation, sound, and music), and we're thrilled to finally have the chance to share the game with you!