The Ascent had quite a lot of performance issues at launch but the devs have already a second performance patch.
The last time I talked about The Ascent was when the Game Pass version received DLSS and ray-tracing. But that didn’t help with the game’s performance issues. Don’t get me wrong, this game’s a lot more stable and polished than most recent releases, but it still has some issues.
Furthermore, some Windows Store problems and crashes have been reported in the last few weeks. But, the devs already have a solution ready. The Ascent got a performance patch that fixed load times, progress problems, bugged Achievements, and a lot more. Read the full patch notes below:
Performance (PC Steam & Win10)
- DX12 is now the default for Windows Store Players.
- DX11 is now supported for Windows Store.
- Improvements made to reduce stuttering and hitching, for DX11 and DX12, more work will continue here for future updates.
- Ray Tracing is set to default ‘off’ on all platforms
- Improved Hot Joining loading times on Steam & XB Family devices, more work will continue here for future updates
Stability (all platforms)
- Fixed a number of crashes in Single Player and Coop
- Save Progress (all platforms)
- Fixed an issue where Weapon Skins could be lost
- Fixed an issue where Character Shirts could be lost
- Fixed an issue where Gear could be lost
- Fixed an issue where Clients items could be unequipped when a Host disconnects inside a tier elevator
- Fixed an issue where Clients could lose their save progress when fast travelling in certain circumstances
Gameplay (all platforms)
- Fixed the issue where sometimes a FullChrome wouldn’t spawn in ‘Mutual Dependencies’ (Mission 2)
- Fixed an issue where ‘Sell All Duplicates’ worked incorrectly
- Changed the frequency of Kira lines when civilians are killed (will now trigger less often)
Achievements (all platforms)
- Fixed an issue with the Achievement ‘Added Extras’
- Fixed an issue with the Achievement ‘Aficionado’
- Fixed an issue with the Achievement ‘Helping Hand’
- Fixed an issue with the Achievement ‘Win’
- Fixed an issue with the Achievement ‘Fair Trade’
Translation (all platforms)
- Minor bug fixes in other languages
- Please note that we are still working on improving the quality of the translation in all languages
Other Fixes (all platforms)
- Multiple reported minor collision issues have been fixed
However, there’s still quite a lot of work left. I don’t expect them to radically improve performance in one patch, but they’re putting in work. It’s nice to see devs that tackle issues with their games head-on and without delay.
Did you try The Ascent yet? It’s quite an impressive twin-stick shooter with a brilliant cyberpunk setting. Be sure to check it out, especially if you’re looking for a fun short game to play with a couple of friends!
Pick up The Ascent for a great price on HRK Game today!